USB Wi-Fi Adapters for Raspberry Pi(rate)Box
The official eLinux wiki provides information about Verified Raspberry Pi WiFi Adapters. Unfortunately not all devices have been tested for AP (Access Point) functionality, which is a core requirement for building a Pi(rate)Box. Look for the Chipset of supported devices, other devices with the same Chipset will also have AP functionality.
The following USB Wi-Fi Adapters are confirmed as working out of the box with the PirateBox:
Please note: Some USB Wi-Fi Adapters will only work with a compatible USB hub. More info about compatible USB hubs on the eLinux Wiki.
- Ralink RT5370 based USB-devices like this from Detroit DIY Electronics
- TP-Link TL-WN822N - until version 2 (currently version 3 is on the market, see below)
- D-Link DWL-G122 - confirmed as working without USB hub.
- TP-LINK TL-WDN3200 - confirmed with B+
- TP-Link TL-WN722N 1.0 & 1.1 - works without additional powered USB hub (long running not approved) ; AP or Mesh only (both together not possible)
- The 'WIPI' adapter - from cpc.co.uk works straight out of the box. i.e. FCC ID: OYR-COMFAST88
- TENDA W541U V2.0
Additional configuration required
- TP-Link TL-WN722N 2.0 , different chipset, which is not recognized seamlessly.
By today, armarchlinux does not include staging Linux drivers.
- Widemac USB 2.0 150 MBps 801.11N
Edit /opt/piratebox/conf/hostapd.conf and put a # in front of the following lines
hostapd needs to be exchanged for that device. See this forum thread for a detailed HowTo