Install PirateBox without a custom image
If you have a device, that has no shipped auto-installation, you can still install PirateBox with manual instructions.
- Manual Instructions for Zsun (Chaos Calmer and PirateBox 1.1 beta)
- You need a device with an USB or SDCard slot.
- Your device needs to be compatible to AttitudeAdjustment release from OpenWrt. The current trunk and BarrierBreaker release is not supported, because we can't guarantee it as working.
- Flash your device with OpenWrt refering to OpenWrt wiki.
- Make Internet-access available on your device.
Steps to be done
- Login to your Box via SSH (use standard root/<your password>) or telnet (if root password not set). The IP depends on the way you made Internet available, i.e. 192.168.1.1
- Run the following command:
echo "src/gz piratebox http://stable.openwrt.piratebox.de/all/packages" >> /etc/opkg.conf
- On ChaosCalmer, you need to disable signature checking for the repository, because we don't have signed repositories yet. Edith /etc/opkg.conf and remove the line
option check_signature 1or run.
sed 's|option check_signature 1||g' -i /etc/opkg.conf
- Update packages:
- Install the extendRoot package:
opkg install extendRoot
- Optional: If you have a different installation destination, like a SDCard, edit
'/etc/ext.config' , and change the USB device option.
- Optional: If you are challenging your luck with using BreakingBarrier or ChaosCalmer OpenWrt version, you might need to do a reboot after this step.
- Initialize extendRoot:
- Refresh ash profile:
- Install the PirateBox package:
opkg -d ext install extendRoot-piratebox
- Optional: Install UPNP Server and imageboard
opkg -d ext install extendRoot-minidlna opkg -d ext install piratebox-mod-imageboard
- As a final step, you can reboot the device:
After you finished the setup, you can run the normal post-installation steps.